Friday, November 27, 2009

Weblogs in the Writing Classroom

Although I was hesitant to implement blogging into my writing classes in fear of demanding too much technologically from students, surprisingly it has been unhesitantly embraced by my them. Lately, I've utilized this writing device for book reports and reading/reasearch discussions, nothing else. Nevertheless, it's been a success! Even the shyest student appears comfortable and engaged with this type of communication.

Charles Lowe and Terra Williams argue that weblogs can replace the private print journal, an argument I concur with because it has the potential for other non-traditional: creating social support networks, reducing anxiety about publishing, and reading and interacting with classmates more frequently.

Because students spend a vast amount of time browsing in cyberspace and computers are becoming a mandatory equipment in institutions nowadays, blogging as a form of writing makes sense. I had not thought of blogging as a journal device but will definitely consider it for my next classes.

For more on weblogging, read Into the Blogosphere, Moving to the Public:Weblogs in the Writing Classroom by Charles Lowe and Terra Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment