Friday, September 18, 2009

Technological Literacy

In my early years of education, I was not exposed to computers much, since we could not afford one. Computers were neither a friend nor an enemy of mine; I simply didn’t consider them much (although I do remember my childhood church saying that computers were the devil). My first encounter with computers was in my computer information systems class in high school. There, I learned basic Microsoft software and internet processes. I was not that impressed though at that time; plus computer literacy was never reinforced at home. It was until college that I was forced to use them for reading and writing in my composition courses and for email purposes and understood the overall purpose of computers..

I was somewhat shy using computers at first. Hesitant but curious, I started playing with the machine, thinking it was going to explode if I pressed the “escape” button: I don’t where I got that from. It was not easy to adjust. It took me a good year to get to an intermediate level. Nevertheless, I got comfortable using the not so “dangerous” device. Here is what really hooked me though: the simple fact that I could make payments via the internet fascinated me. This meant no more going to the postal office and no more paying for stamps. I thought this was so handy and convenient. That day forward computers became my best friend.

Today, everything that I do revolves around a computer—my life is consumed so much by a computer that ninety-percent of my interaction is computerized (that’s terrible!). I have two computers at home, a pc and a laptop, and a computer at work. All my family member uses and owns computers, even my mother, who is very old-fashioned. At this point, I have to admit that computers make my life easier by saving me time and money. The sad part though, I was thinking recently, that as a result of having more time in my hands, I force myself to work more. At the end, this results in less time for me and more time with my “electronic” friend. I’m sacred to know how far digital technology can go—or take over our lives.

2 comments:

  1. (although I do remember my childhood church saying that computers were the devil).

    This is really really interesting. Do you remember why (or can you find out)?
    thinking it was going to explode if I pressed the “escape” button: I don’t where I got that from.

    Also good material --

    Today, everything that I do revolves around a computer—my life is consumed so much by a computer that ninety-percent of my interaction is computerized (that’s terrible!).

    Why is this necessarily bad? (First of all I suspect 90% is overinflated, but take a second to interrogate your reaction and fold it into your tech autobio as you write it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luis,

    I found some of your comments to be very interesting with this blog. The first one I reacted to was how computers became your friend...because of the ability to pay online. This is hilarious and yet, it made me remember how I felt when I learned that concept. I was scared to try that out because I'd always heard of identity theft, which I feared would happen to me (knock on wood).
    The second comment I reacted to was that everything you do revolves around computers. I found this to be horrifying and it made me realize that maybe my detachment with computers exists because I do not want to be attached to them. Does that make sense? I am stunned at the realization and I must continue to mull over this because it's something new I've discovered. thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete